Hong Kong is the world’s most expensive metropolis to live in as an expat for the 2nd calendar year in a row, according to a new research. New York and Geneva took next and 3rd put in the rankings.
Better costs and a stronger forex in excess of the past yr saved the Asian metropolis at the top of the tree, in accordance to ECA Global, which carried out its exploration in March this year. London and Tokyo spherical out the top rated 5.
Soaring rental costs were component of the explanation London and New York took their positions in the top rated 5, with hire in all those towns soaring 20% and 12% respectively.
Elsewhere in the Charge of Residing report, Singapore stayed in 13th place despite sizeable rises in hire, petrol rates and utilities. People have been offset by the Singapore dollar weakening against other regional currencies for the duration of the latter component of the survey time period, ECA said. Japanese metropolitan areas all fell down the ranks as the yen weakened, though Chinese cities rose — with Shanghai and Guangzhou having 8th and 9th positions respectively — on a much better yuan.
Listed here are some far more of the survey’s conclusions:
- Petrol rates climbed on typical 37% as opposed to a yr earlier across all cities, though Beirut recorded a 1,128% enhance
- Turkey’s Ankara is the lowest priced metropolis in the globe for expats, following slipping 5 spots to 207th position
- War in Ukraine observed cooking oil charges rise an average of 25% very last 12 months across towns in the ranking
- Tehran’s fuel rates were most affordable, with a litre of petrol costing just $.09
- A cup of coffee at $5.21, a litre of petrol at $3.04 and a kilo of tomatoes at $11.51 ended up just a number of of the rates that took Hong Kong to the top rated of the list
“Although Hong Kong has been impacted by growing international inflation less than other regional and international areas in the past year, it even so stays the most high priced area in the planet,” a push release quoted ECA International’s Regional Director for Asia, Lee Quane, as expressing.
“It has been the energy of the Hong Kong dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar, in the previous yr which has enabled it to preserve its placement as the most high-priced spot globally as other currencies have weakened.”
ECA International analyses the cost of purchaser items and solutions in a lot more than 490 destinations around the globe, though lodging data is also factored in, comparing rental fees in locations typically inhabited by expatriate personnel in in excess of 410 places throughout the world. The hottest report ranks 207 metropolitan areas in 120 nations.
Listed here are the world’s best 20 most costly locations for expats (with the March 2021 ranking in parentheses):
- Hong Kong (2021 rating: 1)
- New York, US (4)
- Geneva, Switzerland (3)
- London, United kingdom (5)
- Tokyo, Japan (2)
- Tel Aviv, Israel (7)
- Zurich, Switzerland (6)
- Shanghai, China (9)
- Guangzhou, China (10)
- Seoul, South Korea (8)
- San Francisco, US (15)
- Shenzhen, China (12)
- Singapore (13)
- Beijing, China (16)
- Jerusalem, Israel (18)
- Bern, Switzerland (17)
- Yokohama, Japan (11)
- Copenhagen, Denmark (14)
- Oslo, Norway (19)
- Taipei, Taiwan (21)
© 2022 Bloomberg