CSP Radio Spot

Conservation Stewardship Program or the CSP might be right for you, if...

You are ready to apply new conservation activities on your agricultural land or nonindustrial private forestland.

You are willing to commit time to inventory and document your conservation activities.

You have current records and will maintain records to document conservation activities.

The NEW CSP is about maintaining your current conservation activities and about helping you address additional resources concerns you may have on your farm, ranch, or private forestland.

Deadline for applications:  September
Continuous enrollment.  Available nationwide.

Stop by your local USDA Service Center and visit with the Natural Resources Conservation Service staff.  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Non-Point and State Water Resources Cost Share Programs

The Sherman County Conservation District will conduct a sign up August 10th through August 24th for both Non Point and State Water Resources Cost Share Programs

Some of the State Water Resources Cost Share Program practices eligible for cost share include contour Buffer Strips, Critical Area Planting, Diversions, Fencing, Grassed Waterways, Pipelines, Terraces, Livestock Wells and Tanks.  Windbreaks have added but are a lower priority.  Most practices in the State Cost Share program are cost shared at 70% of average cost.  The landowner limit is $6000.00.  The Non-Point source funds can be used for FAILING on site waste water systems and plugging abandoned wells.  LEPG will have evaluated and rank the applications and there will be a $100 fee up front for these services.  The cost share rates are limited to 50% not exceed $2500.00 on septic systems and 50% not to exceed $500 on abandoned wells. 

For further information call Sandy Rodgers at the Conservation District Office.
785-899-3070 ext 35
210 West 10th in Goodland

Conservation Technical Assistance

Another name for conservation planning is "Conservation Technical Assistance" (CTA).  NRCS will assist with resource management planning in all of the following resources:  Soil quality, water quality, air quality, plants & crops, and animals (both domestic & wildlife).

NRCS will meet with you on your farm or ranch to make a plan to reach your conservation goals.

The Conservation Technical Assistance (CTA) Program provides technical assistance supported by science-based technology and tools to help people conserve, maintain, and improve their natural resources. The CTA Program provides the technical capability, including direct conservation planning, design, and implementation assistance, that helps people plan and apply conservation on the land.  This assistance is provided to individuals, groups, and communities who make natural resource management decisions on private, tribal, and other non-federal lands. NRCS, through the CTA Program, provides conservation technical assistance that addresses natural resource conservation issues at the local level that are of State and national concern. For even more information click here.

Kansas Environmental Quality Incentives Program

If  you would like more information on the EQIP Program give Fred a call at 785-899-3070 ext 35 or he can come out to the field.

General Information

  • The minimum length of the contract is one year past the completion of the last conservation practice; maximum term is 10 years.
  • Contracts are limited to $450,000 in payments. There is no annual pay-out limit and payments are allowed in the first year of the contract.
  • Incentive payments are limited to $50,000 per contract.
  • Cost share for limited resource and beginning farmers is set at 20 percent above established rates.
  • Application evaluation criteria consider national and state conservation priorities.
  • Contracts with animal feeding operations are required to develop and implement a comprehensive nutrient management plan (CNMP).
How does the Kansas EQIP application process work?
  1. A person(s) submits an application to a local USDA Service Center, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) or conservation district office.
  2. Kansas EQIP: The appropriate Self-Assessment Worksheet for Fiscal Year 2007 must be completed and returned to the NRCS office by application period cutoff date. The Self-Assessment Worksheet is available from your local NRCS office or on the Kansas NRCS Web site.
  3. NRCS works with the applicant to develop a conservation plan.
  4. NRCS ranks each application using the statewide application evaluation criteria.
  5. The designated conservationist commits allocated funds according to ranking order, and NRCS develops contracts with those applicants.
  6. Following contract signature by NRCS and the selected participant, funds are obligated for the contract, and the participant may begin to implement the EQIP contract.
Information about the 2010 EQIP Program will be available this fall. Applications & self assessment work sheets should be completed by early December. For even more information click here.

For further information on any of these programs call Sandy Rodgers or Fred Wedel at the Conservation District Office at 785-899-3070 Extension 35.